Written by Brian Critelli
Saturday, 01 October 2011 15:46
The 2011 America's Challenge Gas Balloon Race will launch tonight! The Race has started:
Live Tracking is available: 16th America's Challenge Live Tracking Site
Participating teams are:
1. Philip Bryant (USA) & Wilhelm Eimers (Germany)
2. Danielle Francoeur (Canada) & Linda Ellis (USA)
3. Mark Sullivan (USA) & Cheri Edwards White (USA)
4. Peter Cuneo (USA) & Barbara Fricke (USA)
5. Andy Cayton (USA) & Bill Manual (USA)
6. David Hempleman-Adams (UK) & Jonathan Mason (Australia)
7. Anulfo González Redondo (Spain) & Angel Aguirre (Spain)
8. Louis Vitanza (USA) & Bert Padelt (USA)
|Saturday's Weather forecast:
There is a chance of Thunderstorms on Saturday but low enough that flying Saturday night is likely...showers and thunderstorms will be most numerous over and near the Colorado border Saturday eve/night and mountains North and Northwest of Albuquerque.
Thunderstorm chances get higher Saturday and especially Sunday and Monday over New Mexico so Saturday evening may offer best opportunity for a launch.
Winds aloft will be VERY slow (10 mph or less) Saturday night and most of Sunday. Teams may only be near the Colorado border area after 24 hours of flight. Based on the current Hysplit it looks like a 3 day fight to Nebraska or South Dakota.
We will keep an eye on the weather and see what happens.
Good luck to all the teams for a long and safe flight. The projected flight paths are shown below:
Last Updated on Saturday, 01 October 2011 20:54