Bill Murtorff Spirit of Ballooning Award
Nominations due before August 15 of award year.
Nominations for 2020 only are due before November 15, 2020
The Bill Murtorff Spirit of Ballooning Award is given to a BFA member who has contributed to youth programs or education in the sport of ballooning.
Bill Murtorff was a spirited balloon enthusiast, starting in the early 1970's. In the late 70s and early 80s he served two terms on the BFA's board and two years as the organization's president. Bill was very interested in introducing ballooning to kids, and this award is dedicated in his honor.
A committee from the Junior Balloonist program will screen candidates and make recommendations to the Awards Committee. The Awards committee presents the candidate to the BFA Board for approval.
- Written nominations must be sent to the BFA Office.
- BFA Office will forward all nominations to the Jr. Balloonist program committee.
- Committee will screen candidates and make recommendation to the Awards Committee.
- Awards committee will present the candidate to the BFA Board for approval.
- Nominations can be up to but not longer than 2 pages.
- Nominations must include name of nominee, address, years of experience in ballooning, the candidates contributions to youth programs/education in regard to the sport of hot air ballooning, and the reason why the candidate should get the award.
- Provided an acceptable candidate is nominated, award will be presented annually.
- Award is open to all BFA members: pilots, crew and others.
- Deadline for nominations is August 15 of the award year.
Award will be presented at the Annual General Meeting by the current BFA President.
Here are the recipients of the Bill Murtorff Spirit of Ballooning Awards:
1998: Tina Reeves
1999: Jim Schoo
2000: Neida Courtney
2001: Gary Rominger
2002: Derrick Jones
2013: Kim Wooge, Adam Magee
2017: Michael Shrum
2018: Don Boyer, Eddie Clements
2019: Ken Draughn